Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I walked into the theatre hoping for "the Prisoner of Azkaban" good. What I witnessed was something even better. Well directed , more bittersweet, and definately darker.


The Good-
No longer do we need to go over character backgrounds. Potter and the others are so established at this point that we can get right into the action.

The dudes from Bulgaria? were pretty fricken cool. They made the Hogwart's kids look kind of prissy.

Voldemort (or however you spell it) was AWESOME. He was so evil, cruel and just creepy. I cant wait to see what kind of fucked up stuff he does in the next movie. Finally, a villain worth watching.

The dance, wonderful way to bring the craziness of a magical world down by tossing in some human failings. Once again we realize that powerful though they be, they are still kids growing up.


The Bad-
They pushed the fantastic to a higher level. One of the few things I liked about the first movie is that I could see the ties into reality and the normal mundane world. In this movie you can almost forget that there is a regular world out there. Much less grounded than the other movies, but still just within reasonable levels.

The characters from the other schools were a little underdeveloped. Also, what was with the girl champion being so lame? That just bothered me. I didnt mind the 50's femininity theme, but did their heroin have to suck so bad?

What is the deal with Ron's hissyfit about Harry being in the contest. I thought that was just lame writing on JK's part. I get that she wanted to toss some teenage jealousy in, but she blew it on that one.


The Rating-
I would rate this movie an 8 out of 10. I would definately pay to see it again or watch it at home a few times if I owned the dvd. Very well done and even better than the first three. I can not wait to see what the next movie has to offer. This concludes my movie review for the day. If you disagree with me its ok, just remember, you are wrong. :)

No comments: