Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year... or something like that

I am the harbinger of luck.

Thats right. I said it, I am the harbinger of luck.

Did you know....

0 It was considered lucky to eat food that was circular in shape on new years, as it represented the completion of a full circle.
0 It was considered particularly lucky to have the first visitor you see in the new year be a tall, dark haired man. No bullshit.
0 Rice and cabbage are considered lucky foods to eat on new years day/night.
0 Jan 1 is just an arbitrary day, the real new year occurs on the first new moon after the vernal equinox.

That being said, let me share with you dear reader, my new year eve. This year of course, actually... no less than four hours ago. Here I sit, in the darkened chamber of my room with naught but a lit candle and a half full bottle of wine. The snow is falling lightly if relentlessly outside. By lamplight it provides sufficient illumination to see as if it were twilight. Given this atmosphere and the onset of some inebriation... I think I'll actually write one post here with some unique if non-specific substance about me.

That being said, it was a fairly decent new year eve. I hardly drank at all, visited three parties, and felt at home in none. They were all full of friendly people, all had plenty of drink and things to eat. However, I realized what was lacking was someone to share it with. I suppose being around people on the new year is better than being alone, but a step up from that would be being around someone or someones you can share a night of revelry with. Being a fairly recent arrival here I have found that making friends is a more difficult prospect that I anticipated. I know many, but have few friends. I suppose it just takes time. Though with a few good friends you wouldnt need parties, the party would be where you are.

The eve also makes me re-evaluate the nature of my relations with people and how I conduct myself. I suppose such things are natural. I think I need to rededicate myself to not persue happiness. Many great writers have asserted that when one is consumed with action one can find happiness. But when one is searching or even dare I say the ugly word, grasping.. for it, one finds it not. I think I shall focus this year on deepening ties with people I know and perfecting what it is that I do. I know, not great revelations in themselves, and certainly not original ideas. They are significant for me nonetheless.

With that dear reader, I will leave you with this. I wish you a most productive and happy year. I wish upon you fortune and good fruits borne by your labour. May this year be better than your last one.

No comments: